As you may imagine we have had many inquiries about the situation here with respect to local and international restrictions, as well as the latest Covid numbers and vaccination progress.
We are in contact with many people who are really keen to get to Girona and do some cycling and we are of course very happy to hear that and more than ready to welcome you to town.
The situation is changing constantly, thus it can be very difficult and confusing to know what is possible or sensible. We will post a 2 weekly blog with information for people looking at when and how they can safely return to Girona.
Covid numbers here in Catalunya:
As mentioned before the numbers can change very quickly. These are the statistics at the time of posting
Source: CatalanNews and Catalan Heath Department
Restrictions in place in Girona and Catalunya
The Catalan and Spanish authorities generally review the restrictions every two weeks. I will outline the measures that are most relevant to our clients and visitors that are in effect at the time of posting.
As with the UK and other countries social distancing is recommended and people are asked to limit their social interactions, and masks must be worn in public. It is not obligatory to wear a face mask while riding or during other vigorous exercise.
- Bar and Restaurants – from December 21st bars and restaurants can open indoor and outdoor seating areas to the public, but only from 7:30am to 9:30am and from 1pm to 3:30pm.
Establishments can only accommodate 30% of their regular capacity indoors while there are no limits placed on outdoor seating. Inside, only up to four people can sit at each table, except for 6 people on holidays. Everyone must wear a face mask when not eating or drinking, and at all other times when outside. It is not required to wear a facemask when riding.
Take away can be provided from 7pm to 10pm for dinner, with delivery services until 11pm, but dining areas must remain shut. Hotel restaurants however, are allowed to serve their guests dinner.
In-person dining hours do not apply to bars and restaurants located at highway rest stops, but those inside shopping malls cannot open all.
- Mobility – From January 7 people are not allowed to leave their municipality of residence without a valid reason – these include work, study, returning home, going to health centers, care of dependent relatives, demonstrations and force majeure. Travel for work is only allowed when remote working is not possible.
Sporting activities can be carried out in surrounding towns.
- Curfew – People must remain home between 22:00 and 06:00.
- Shops – From January 7th shopping malls and shops greater than 400 m2 must close. Smaller shops can open Monday to Friday at 30% capacity. At weekends only essential stores can open. The restriction does not affect veterinarians, hairdressers, beauty salons, gardening services and car dealers, which will be able to open regardless of their size.
- Public transport – Including services such as buses, trains, and the subway, will continue running as usual.
- Schools – Educational centres, including primary and secondary schools, remain open. .
- Cycling – You are able to cycle in Groups of up to 6 and riders can ride in the Girona county and into the surrounding counties as well. Masks are not require while on the bike, but are mandatory in cafes or other spaces if you are not riding.
Bike Breaks covid protocol
At Bike Breaks we have gone above and beyond to make sure our shop,
travel agency and rental centre are clean and safe for our clients.
We are hopeful that in 2021 some restrictions will be lifted but in the meantime we are fully prepared.
We keep a close eye on regional covid measures and monitor the
Catalan and Spanish authority channels to ensure we operate legally,
responsibly and safely and to keep our clients updated on new locally
inforced Covid measures.
Bike Breaks news
New bikes are starting to arrive at the shop and we have some new models which we hope people can try out soon.
This week we have the Cannondale Movaro Ebike, video comming soon on our Youtube Channel.