We have had many people asking us about the situation here with respect to local and international restrictions as well as the Covid numbers and the progress made with vaccinations.
We are in contact with many people who are really keen to get to Girona and do some cycling and we are of course very happy to hear that and more than ready to welcome you to town.
As the situation is changing all the time it can be very difficult and confusing to know what is possible or sensible. We will post a 2 weekly blog with information for people looking at when and how they can return to Girona.
Though we do still have some restrictions in place in Girona the numbers in Catalunya continue to drop and the vaccination programe is continuing and gathering pace.
If you have any questions at all do please let us know and we will do our best to help.
Covid numbers here in Catalunya:
As mentioned before the numbers can change very quickly. These are the statistics at the time of posting
Source: CatalanNews and Catalan Heath Department
Restrictions in place in Girona and Catalunya
The Catalan and Spanish authorities generally review the restrictions every two weeks, I will here outline the measures that relate most to our clients and visitors that are applied at the time of posting.
As with the UK and other countries, social distancing is recommended and people are asked to limit their social interactions, and masks must be worn in public.
These latest measures came into force on February the 8th in Girona and have been slightly relaxed. I have highlighted the main changes in bold below.
- Bar and Restaurants – from December 21 bars and restaurants can only open indoor and outdoor seating areas to the public from 7:30am to 10:30am and from 1pm to 4:30pm.
Establishments can only accommodate 30% of their regular capacity . Inside, only up to four people can sit at the same table. Everyone must wear a face mask when not eating or drinking.
Take-away can be provided from 7pm to 10pm for dinner, with delivery services until 11pm, but dining areas must remain shut. Hotel restaurants, however, are allowed to serve their guests dinner.
In-person dining hours do not apply to bars and restaurants located at highway rest stops, but those inside shopping malls cannot open all.
- Mobility – Now we are able to move within the county of residence not permitted to leave without a justified reason, including work, study, returning home, going to health centers, care of dependent relatives, demonstrating and force majeure. Travel for work is only allowed when remote working is not possible.
Sporting activities can be carried out in surrounding towns.
- Curfew – People must remain home between 10pm and 6am.
- Shops – From January 7 shopping malls and shops greater than 400 m2 must shut. Smaller shops can open Monday to Friday to 30% capacity. At weekends only essential stores can open. The restriction does not affect vets, hairdressers, beauty salons, gardening services and car dealers, which will be able to open regardless of their size.
- Public transport – Including services such as buses, trains, and the subway, it will continue running as usual.
- Schools – Educational centres, including primary and secondary schools, remain open.
- Cycling – You are able to cycle in Groups of up to 6 and riders can ride in the Girona county and into the surrounding counties as well.
Bike Breaks covid protocol
At Bike Breaks we have gone above and beyond to make sure our shop,
travel agency and rental centre are clean and safe for our clients.
We are hopeful that in 2021 some restrictions will be lifted but in the meantime we are fully prepared.
We keep a close eye on regional covid measures and monitor the
Catalan and Spanish authority channels to ensure we operate legally,
responsibly and safely and to keep our clients updated on new locally
inforced Covid measures.
Bike Breaks news
New bikes are starting to arrive at the shop and we have some new models which we hope people can try out soon.
This week we have the Cannondale Topstone Carbon 5 Gravel bike, check out the video here.
Also we are now able to run the weekly Thursday shop ride again, with limited numbers of course.